Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rust rules

I'm one restless, always-on-the-search soul these days. After taking care of all the bare essentials that go into creating a decent home, it's finally decor time. My favorite part of setting up a new home, every time. No matter how many times (eight homes, including this!) I've done it before, the thrill remains constant.

Although I miss that scrubbed, minimalist look of the tidy white wood and window blinds, and the inviting plainness of the oatmeal carpet of American homes, it is definitely more fun to play with rich, riotous colors. With the solid teak woodwork dominating most of the interior, decorating Indian homes is all about striking that perfect balance between space and colors. And often, one tends to get lost in the intensity of our bright and festive color palette. We, therefore, have decided to go the subtle way - rust and its siblings, beige and coffee, with a hint of the pompous purple and regal red thrown in here and there. The lovely, warm tones have begun painting our new place in an earthy delight. When the late afternoon sun slants moodily on our balcony, one gets the feeling of being bathed in a pale, rusty twilight.

P.S. Rereading My Name is Red couldn't have happened at a more befitting time!





15 comments:

  1. are sabu tor na ghara pic ? tu ta expert interior designer hei jai chu. au raja lagi mada pitha ban cu ki nai :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah bro, sabu mo ghara ra. I'm glad you like them. raja kichi nahin yaar, ghara set up re hi besta achu..

      Delete
  2. Hello Suman:
    This all sounds to be great fun, if not a little exhausting too, but doubtless you are, after eight times, a dab hand at the art of creating a new environment. Your colours sound most interesting and we love the idea of a dash of 'pompous purple'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance, I agree it's all fun decorating; something has to be, from this maddening chaos of 'to dos' when setting up a new place. Thank you for appreciating my whimsical alliterations; I quite have a penchant for them!

      Delete
  3. Decorating was always my favourite bit too. Your colours sound rich and warm - just what I love. I can only live for a little time in an all-white and bare wood interior.
    I'll have to look up that book. I'm about halfway through Michael Ondaatje's The Cat's Table and I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd understand this thrill! This is the only aspect of change that doesn't change in me, or probably I don't let it.

      I haven't read any of Ondaatje after 'The English Patient' and despite being so much in love with his 'poetry in prose' style, it's an absolute shame that I haven't tried his other novels. Orhan Pamuk is just brilliant; I promise, you won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  4. I like your colour choices. Moving eight times must make you an expert. Orhan Pamuk is one of my favourite authors, I still have one book that I haven't read. It is sitting on my table, waiting for the right time. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, an expert I am and quite qualified to join a movers company for sure! I am glad you like my colour choices.

      Pamuk is sheer brilliance. I too have a pile of books that belong to the 'to read' list since forever. Somehow, like you, I too believe that every book has its right time to be read.

      Delete
  5. Choice of those colors are really great and it is giving a great feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another thumbs-up, I see. Or if it were Facebook, it'd have been a 'like'! :-)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful ! I love the teak and the warm tones !

    ReplyDelete
  7. A family member linked me to this website. Thank you for the resources.
    Feel free to surf my blog post ... Coastal Roller Shutters

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...