Friday, January 6, 2012

Across the bridge



Every time I drive over this bridge that spans the breadth and captivating beauty of Lake Washington, I feel no less than a seagull. My spirits soar high over the sparkling sapphire waters as I head toward the neatly arranged concrete jungle of downtown. Today was another such day and a bright, sunny one too. 

Across the bridge awaited the happy coincidence of a conference and meeting an old friend after years, six to be precise. Armed with coffee and nostalgia, we took a walk down the good old university days - crazy professors, major Modern American Literature mishaps (we both got terrible grades there!), old crushes, tracing friends who aren't in Facebook... It was a celebration of sorts! 
Then came the time to hear the great Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak speak. A name that we academicians have been sweating and fretting over for years, ever since we have stepped into the abstruse waters of postcolonialism. This was my very first opportunity to see her and be in the same room as her, instead of just hearing the intimidating name that so often surfaces in the realm of world literature today. It felt truly overwhelming, although halfway through the lecture I began browsing my iphone to read about Spivak's celebrityhood. People do have this tendency to meander away during such longish talks, don't they?! Luckily, I found another person doodling away to glory and that comfortably numbed my guilt of not paying enough attention.

What began as a South Asian Literary day on the other side of the bridge ended befittingly with a scrumptious Thai dinner across this side. My stuffed head and empty, growling stomach couldn't have asked for anything more rewarding. And these mouthwatering lobster potstickers were just the starters! 



2 comments:

  1. A sunny day, an old friend, a Thai dinner: A perfect day!
    I didn’t know anything about Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak and “Can the subaltern speak?” must be very interesting. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celine, yes that is one intriguing essay that we have to refer to time and again. I am glad you looked her up! Thank you so much for dropping by everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...