Saturday, February 4, 2012

Old market

Nothing perks me up more than an unintended visit to the Pike Place Market, a great place to get lost in for hours. The fresh produce, the local art and craft, the background street music, the touristy smiles and most of all the roar of the traffic by the contrasting calm of the Elliott bay; each so different but when put together they create the most perfect and harmonious collage. A hint of color here and a dash of charm there, as far as your eyes can see; something that beckons one for a visit to the old market, again and again.

There are a few corners in the market where I'm pulled to as if by magic, somewhat like a moth to a flame; the fishmongers' stall where frozen fish heads gape angrily at you; antiques and trinkets; ceramics and pottery; the chocolate coated dried cherries; and the obvious of all, the dewy flowers. And this time the market is at its colorful best, for the tulips have arrived. As if spring herself whispered in your ears, "Be patient, I'm on my way!"

Happy weekend!












7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs... It makes me nostalgic.
    www.rajnishonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajnish, thank you! Yes, it is very much a memory-making place..

      Delete
  2. I have only been to the Pike Market once, and that was a hurried trip. It's definitely not the sort of place to go through in a hurry. I look forward to visiting again, but for now, your photos will do. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really kind of you, thank you. You must visit it sometime during the spring or summer, the stalls are devilishly tempting then.

      Delete
  3. Your photos are so beautiful ! Once again, you can beautify the everyday life ! I love this kind of place. In Nice, we have a market like this "Cours Saleya".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Celine. I just LOVE the open air markets they show in the French movies. They are a must-see in my France list!

      Delete
  4. I feel the same. It's always fun to visit Pike Place. I've been meaning to get down there to visit Beecher's Cheese shop. I'm a sucker for their macaroni cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...