Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Remembering resolutions



"For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice."

~ T.S. Eliot

Just five more days rumbling away for the old, haggard year to end. This morning I felt that bothering impatience, the sudden sluggish pace of something that inches towards its completion. Like the traveler who travels resolutely for miles and days, but feels depleted of all zeal when just steps away from his destination. By November I could already feel this year was history, but now it seems as if the time has stood still. How awfully slow the minutes crawl and for what! Shouldn't a handful of days pass by in a wink? Strange are such philosophical transactions, often questioned but always unanswered.

The time has come to look back at the colourful mosaic of flashbacks that this year has been, at all the possible permutations and combinations of the laughs and the trials. Then there's the rampant rummaging for resolutions (I heart alliterations, by the way!). I, for the record, have never been faithful to one. If I was, by now I would have - completed a significant part of my research plans, lost oodles of weight, written something staggeringly brilliant, been in touch with my singing side, and even read the Bhagavad Gita! Instead I chose to remain mediocre and reign as the undisputed queen of procrastination forever. I am just not capable of something so spectacularly life-transforming and rule-governed, you see.

But come the new year and I do have plans to work on a list. And hopefully it won't be another of my usual Bridget Jones rigmarole. The mantras that I intend, and quite vehemently this time, to stand by are:

1. Must decide on a suitable author/area for my Ph.D by February

2. Give meaning and matter to a bunch of randomly scribbled pieces

3. Chalk out a proper timetable for the haphazard yoga mornings

4. Boost my fiber intake

5. Be less obsessive-compulsive

6. Curb the monstrous Virgo in me

7. Pick the roses and ignore the thorns

8. Read, read and read

9. Blog regularly

10. Stick to all of the above!

5 comments:

  1. I could have written this post!! I am also the Queen of procrastination.
    Maybe, it’s our problem: we are waiting at something spectacularly life-transforming.
    And you are not mediocre!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As another monstrous Virgo I sympathise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a very Happy New Year. I can relate to your resolutions, also another monstrous Virgo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celine, you are really very kind. And now, besides the common Virgo thread, we can share our procrastinating woes too. Yay!

    Linda, thank you so much for the sympathies and do keep them coming!

    P.K, the more the merrier, isn't it?! Thank you for the wishes. Wishing you all things lovely and fruitful in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But the finesse and the perfection in doing anything is naturally imbibed within a VIRGO....and therefore here i go again with my engrossing tea time companions written by A TRUE VIRGO :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...